Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Slow going on my book and poor financial prospects for artists

Word count
Tues, Dec 15: 635
-
If any reader comes here out of the blue and is not familiar with the blog, Thanks!  And, I finished Nanowrimo on November 30 and am trying to keep writing.  The number above, and at the top of all my posts for this month, is of the words added to my Nanowrimo story.
I am glad I have continued writing but this relaxed pace of less than a third of the Nanowrio requirement has its problems.  In the bit I wrote today, the heroes traveled a total of two hundred meters and the plot has not really advanced much.  There might be fireworks tomorrow, or maybe it will be Thursday.  The problem then, is that things are happening so slowly at 500+ words a day.  As my story has more than five POV characters and the majority are not involved in this week's action, I am at risk of forgetting plot and character details.  I think I need a slower pace after Nano's demands, but I will need to increase my numbers in the new year.
AC Fuller of Writer 2.0 uses the number 5,000 words a week as a reasonable goal - or maybe only as number picked out of thin air, I don't know.  It would be 220 more words a day for me so that makes a good goal.
---
Iggy Pop can't live off his art, so what chance do Youtubers have?
Just Between Us personality Gaby Dunn (this link is to youtube, so naturally video autoplay) says:
[We] make money from ads that play before our videos, freelance writing and acting gigs, and brand deals on YouTube and Instagram. But it’s not enough to live, and its influx is unpredictable. Our channel exists in that YouTube no-man’s-land: Brands think we’re too small to sponsor, but fans think we’re too big for donations. I’ve never had more than a couple thousand dollars in my bank account at once. My Instagram account has 340,000 followers, but I’ve never made $340,000 in my life collectively.

No comments: