Sunday, January 27, 2013

Lego Ceationary

My son and occasionally play Creationary, a Lego Game.  The game can be fun and I like making things with the little guy but there are some problems.  Before I get into them, here are some things we made.  I have included two pictures of each item with the card and die in the image.  I have posted each picture twice; in the first picture I have obscured the card image so you could guess if that interests you.

 .
.
.
.


.
.
.
.




.
.
.
.





.
.
.
.



.
.
.
.



Alright, I hope that was fun.  So my two problems with the game, and they are minor, are age-appropriateness and culture specificity.

I don't know how much my Mars Rover looks like the image, but either way, my son didn't know what a Mars Rover was.  Similarly, there was a Concorde image and my completed product looked either like it or a Space Shuttle.  My son has never seen the Concorde and doesn't remember if he had seen a Space Shuttle.  The Concorde last flew in 2003, two years before my son was born.  I just can't imagine the target audience for this game being born in the '90s and so able to remember such a craft.

My in-laws live on a farm and are farmers.  There is no red-walled barn with silo in the country, I think.  This is a minor complaint because I do think Lego's target audiences are North America and Europe.  Besides, my son made a good elevator, having ridden in one about once or more a day all his life, while his American cousin has probably been in fewer than a hundred.

A more common complaint is the small number of parts.  There is wonderful variety in the blocks but unless you want to go very minimalist and  abstract, you will probably not complete your structure in the intended color.  I am willing to import parts from other Lego sets - notably the older, only-squares-and-rectangles sets, but I worry about migration of the the game's parts away.

We had fun, we didn't keep score and we built some things together and some simultaneously. 

No comments: