Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Penetang animals: Butorides virescens

I typed this entry a week ago and scheduled it for this week. In the intervening time, I was able to see the bird more clearly. I had thought it was a little blue heron. I now think it is a green heron. Still not a common bird around here but more common than the little blue.
This little heron has shaggy feathers that make it look, well, cuddly. My pictures were taken with my phone so I was unable to get better images. I have seen bitterns, green herons and night herons and this isn't one of those. And yet, the guides suggest that the little blue heron is very rare here. I have definitely not seen the immature form.



New photos

Green Heron.

Little Blue Heron links:
Arkive

Maryland biodiversity project

Wikipedia

All About Birds

No comments: