Saturday, June 25, 2011

Links aplenty from Surprises Aplenty

Interesting job interview questions. Via Kottke, from CBS MoneyWatch and featuring answers by Giles Turnbull.  Some questions:

Procter & Gamble: Sell me an invisible pen.
Facebook: Twenty five racehorses, no stopwatch, five tracks.  Figure out the top three fastest horses in the fewest number of races.
Citigroup: What is your strategy at table tennis?
Google: You are climbing a staircase. Each time you can either take one step or two. The staircase has n steps. In how many distinct ways can you climb the staircase?
Capital One: How do you evaluate Subway’s five-foot long sub policy?
Gryphon Scientific: How many cocktail umbrellas are there in a given time in the United States?
Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Would you be okay hearing “no” from seven out of 10 customers.
Goldman Sachs: Suppose you had eight identical balls. One of them is slightly heavier and you are given a balance scale. What’s the fewest number of times you have to use the scale to find the heavier ball?

I often have incredible dreams but mere minutes after I wake up, I've forgotten them.  Why?  Sci Am has the answer.

Also from Sci Am, Laughter leads to Insight.

I sometimes teach writing, but rarely more than a sentence at a time (I'm an ESL teacher, BTW).  I want to teach writing and I am not sure if I write enough myself.  The English Raven has two suggestions and here is the first:
Get to it, start writing regularly and make sure you experience at least as many writing genres and outcomes (and word counts) as you expect your students to tackle;
At Liminality, Charles is busy with his doctoral work.  Here and here, he speaks about the writing process.

Gord Sellar has plans to write a lot this summer. Well, he writes a lot all the time, so I guess he simply has plans for this summer.

No comments: