Friday, January 27, 2017

TWIC: paper over digital, finding time, go, outline a novel, synonyms, organization, Canadian painters

Why do some people still prefer books? I want to share my thoughts regarding the second half of the infographic:

SEEING: I have read only one non-fiction book with graphs and charts that worked on my Kindle. That was Pinker's Better Angels of our Nature.
SHOPPING: I do like to visit bookstores. I tend to buy used books at stores.
SMELLING: My sister says this. Really? Decay is a smell you value?
POSING: a friend and I shared photos of specific bookshelves the other day. His was a remarkable collection of Captain Cook biographies and such and mine was of Darwin and evolution.
---
Finding time to write (below are the headings - to read the details, follow the link):
Become a night owl.
The early bird.
Mark the change
Set a timed challenge.
Make the most of days off.
The full title of the article includes, "How five famous authors..." The ideas or tips are good ones and as someone who isn't writing enough, any encouragement is good encouragement. The problem with case studies like this is that advice that is generally applicable is hard to find. And even with only five tips, two conflict.
All that said, I did find timed challenges to be wonderfully motivating during Nanowrimo.
---
Author fight! Burroughs and Capote.
---
I worry both that my writing is too bland and that my writing is too showy. As an example, I keep informal track of how often I use a word and then wonder if I should look for synonyms -that is the bland part and I specifically feel I used the word 'approach' a whole lot in my most recent book. On the other hand, when I do work at adding variety, I find myself using such variety that readers might be confused. the best/worst example is in specifying a person. In a paragraph for two, I might describe the same person as "Nathan", "the Canadian", "the pilot" and "the slimmer man".

As yet, I have no solution for my latter problem. Above, I wrote about contradictory case studies for creativity and here is an example. I have read that avoiding repetition is good but that too much variety or too many circumlocutions is annoying.

Alright. You've been warned. After all that, I like finding lists like this one: 250 ways to say "went". As is my habit, the image below has been altered to show fewer than 250 alternatives; follow the link to see all of them.

Here is a link to the above blogger's top ten posts which has a few other goodies.
---
To promote myself on this blog - my own blog, after all - I have done something similar with mnemonics and ESL. The lists I help students create are much shorter - up to twelve words - but the words are more practical. The presentations slides and write up here made excellent sense when I add my spoken words to them; I think  you can understand if you scroll through to the end of the slides and look at the examples.
---
I am trying to outline a story and organize details in my (paper) notebook. I know that Scrivener has a virtual bulletin board to organizing details and the image for my next offering includes a wall covered in Post-It notes. But only to get to the main offering; using Excel to outline a novel. Looks good.
---
Outsource your creativity with fun photo effect websites. As is often the case, I started a project on one of the editors here without having a plan.
These sites will do the technical work but you still need to have your own ideas!
---
Father and son painters in the North West Territories.

No comments: