Thursday, August 31, 2017

Music at my first job: Windy by The Association

Windy on Youtube. Ah heck, here is the video:



I am certain I heard this song playing on the radio at home. Hmm, I cannot recall the station; the DJ for the show was Don Dainer (sp?) and the show was "Looking Back". We listened to it Saturday nights in the late '70's so this song would have been ten years old.

I most recall it on 590 AM in Muskoka on my way to or from work in the summer. I was a carpenter's helper in the summer, swinging a hammer or carrying stuff.

I really thought this song had a whistling section as I definitely thought I was whistling along with it. That is to say, I was whistling although I am not sure a listener would have recognised it.

Who's peeking out from under a stairway
Calling a name that's lighter than air?
Who's bending down to give me a rainbow?
Everyone knows it's Windy

Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smiling at everybody she sees?
Who's reaching out to capture a moment?
Everyone knows it's Windy

And Windy has stormy eyes
That flash at the sound of lies
And Windy has wings to fly
Above the clouds (Above the clouds)
Above the clouds (Above the clouds)

I also thought there were more words to it. Full lyrics can be found here.

the song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in July of that year[1967].
Maybe that's why it is a big deal for me: it was big when I was born.




No comments: