Tuesday, August 1, 2017

TWIC: Leonardo, d&d, setting

I am using the spotty internet service at camp so although this link to Leonardo's notebooks digitized looks interesting, I cannot see them myself. As Boingboing points out, the notebooks are written in Leonardo's unique right-to-left style and in Italian.
---
Escaping Prison with D & D. THe game itself requires creativity, but in prison it also requires creativity to acquire dice. Gambling is forbidden so dice are not allowed. Inmates use paper templates and origami to make their own and they even test them for randomness.
---
Setting can be a character.  As a reader of science fiction and fantasy, I say of course but the best example I can think of is Tony Hillerman's series of books set on reservation land in the American south west. The location was a real but unobtrusive character. His daughter(? or wife?) continued the series and is a skilled writer but the descriptions of the setting seem more obtrusive to me.
---

No comments: